October 25-27, 2019
Spanish packing list:
Parents and JAMS Science Enrichment Students
The sixth grade science classes have the opportunity to attend the Catalina Island Marine Institute the weekend of October 25-27, 2019. The Catalina Island Marine Institute is a science camp located in Toyon Bay on Catalina Island. Programs at the camp include snorkeling, island hikes, oceanography, marine biology, and various other field activities. Each group is lead by a trained CIMI instructor and assisted by a school chaperone.
The Catalina trip will cost each student a total of $340.00.
Spaces are limited! To reserve a space, sign up and pay online (see below). The deadline is Oct. 11. For students in need, we offer financial assistance or payment plans. (Email your science teacher for access to financial assistance online) Sign-ups will be live on this page until the trip fills.
Tracy Levin : email@example.com
Stefanie Schwartz: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are able to sponsor a student who needs financial assistance, please donate below.
Transportation, Food & Lodging
WANT TO BE A PARENT CHAPERONE?
1. ALL CHAPERONES MUST HAVE A CURRENT TB TEST AND COMPLETE A BACKGROUND CHECK WITH THE DISTRICT BY SEPT 15TH. Chaperones that were cleared at another SMMUSD school need to bring a copy of the clearance to JAMS.
2. Chaperones must be ready to work from early Friday morning to late Sunday afternoon. Chaperones are required to be “on duty” during the entire trip. This means chaperones are REQUIRED to snorkel, hike, assist a group of fifteen students during program hours, and assist in general supervision during student free time and in the evening. ALL chaperones must be strong swimmers.
3. Chaperones must pay the chaperone fee of $200.00. Parents interested in being chaperones should submit a letter to Ms. Levin noting any prior chaperone experience including coaching, lifeguarding, scuba diving certifications, and any medical licenses (Nurse, fireman, CPR, EMT, Physician, etc). Also include your child’s name, elementary school, and your email address. Chaperone letters are due by Sept. 10th.
4. Attach a check made out to "Santa Monica Science Magnet" for the chaperone fee of $200. Checks will only be cashed if you are selected as a chaperone.
5. Parent chaperones will be notified by September 13th. Unfortunately, we will not have space for all parents requesting to be chaperones.